Thursday, March 19, 2009

London Life - Winter Style

Aside from all the antiquities and architectural wonders of London, the people are facinating. The few pictures in the collage here don't even begin to scratch the surface of style and dress displayed. Clearly, the most common color is BLACK (coats, jackets, sweaters, dresses, socks, shoes) and the most common footwear (for younger women) is black boots with 3-4" heels. Everyone wears a scarf and, on rainy days, carries an umbrella (I guess that goes without saying). I feel a little like a paparazzi when taking uninvited pictures, but occasionally can't resist a discreet photo or two. Must make a comment about two of them. The red pom-pom in the upper left is really a coat. The man, center-bottom, lives as you see him on the street in front of the Victoria and Albert Museum.


Now then -- babies! Babies in London, I think begin life as a caterpillar and live in a cocoon. They are wheeled around in buggies that have large rubber tires and plastic vinyl hoods to encapsulate their contents. The babies/children that ride in them are bundled to the point of no-movement-allowed coats and snow suits. Here are two examples.



Lastly here's an indispensible item that we could not live without, given the circumstance of not having a car and walking and/or riding busses to and from the grocery store. A TROLLEY! It folds flat for easy carrying to .... unfolds and holds lots of groceries for pulling from.
Love to all,
E & S Watts






3 comments:

Jane said...

Great update! We need to see a picture of you guys in your Londoner clothes. You guys are fitting right in by now I'm sure. Love you.

Julie Freeman said...

I miss you Grandpa and Grandma! Love Abi and Ava

Jane said...

FYI, I'm tagging you on a blog tag thingy. You have go to my computer documents, then my pictures, go to the 6th folder, then the 6th picture and post that picture regardless of what it is. Heidi tagged me so I played. I just want to see more blogs from you guys. Love you!