West of central London on Cromwell Road the pavement (or ‘sidewalk’ to many of us) widens just before you get to the corner of the Tesco store. The pavement is sloped from both sides to the middle where there is a row of curved blocks to allow for rain water to flow. Down the middle of these blocks someone has painted the word “Drainage.” It is good to see this, because, for sure, without this word…. in utter confusion the rain would go somewhere else.
It is much like this in life. Sometimes, in spite of careful written directions, we go somewhere else.
Clearly, our written directions say:
- Pray always, and be believing, and all things shall work together for your good - then we forget to pray, disbelieve and have problems in our lives.
- Love one another …. that there should be no contention - then we treat others badly and contention begins.
- Forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you - then we hold a grudge and still expect forgiveness for ourselves.
- Bring ye all the tithes…..open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing – then we withhold our tithes and struggle, and not just financially.
- Strait and narrow path which leads to eternal life – then we wander to another path that leads to destruction and misery.
In our Family History Centre there are films of documents that are centuries old that have damaged pages that are evident when viewed, and yet the film itself has a written note to say “damaged page”. One might think that implies that without the note the document would be just fine.
I know that without the written directions of the words of God I would not be just fine.
I have a testimony of the truth in the written directions of the words of God. The list above is but a small sample of these wonderful truths. My life is better, happier and more fulfilling when I follow the directions of a loving Heavenly Father.
 D&C 90:24
 Mosiah 18:21
 Matthew 6:14
 Malachi 3:10
 2 Nephi 31:18