Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Walkin' in "Stile"

Last Saturday we joined three other senior couples and set off to take an English country walk. It was a beautiful day as we walked along and across tree-lined fields, through bough-covered paths to see quaint villages and medieval churches.

One field 'required' us to pass through the domain of some ferocious wild animals (above). At first Sister Watts said, "I'm not going in there", but when confronted with the alternative of a very long walk, she relented and bravely faced the beasts and made it through.


The goal of the walk, aside from the exhilaration of just taking it, was to see the Watts Memorial Chapel and George F. Watts Museum. George (no relation as far as I know) was a famous painter and sculptor of the late 19th century. His works are displayed prominently throughout England - most notably St. Pauls Cathedral and the National Gallery.


Our walk took us through the villiage of Puttenham, where we ate at The Good Intent pub, walked across the Puttenham Golf Club (ca 1894) and came up "The Street."


Here's a picture of Sister Watts crossing the Stile in style. And..... below, Elder Watts is not acting his age on a rope swing. Best wishes..... Elder Watts

6 comments:

Barry Watts said...

Wow, so beautiful. Beautiful day, peaceful scenery, cool architecture, and a fun swing. I didn't know what a stile was, except for the "turn" kind. I'm glad you're having fun and seeing the country.

Julie Freeman said...

I loved seeing your video! You need to post more of those. I want to see one of all the couples you "hang" out with! I hear so much about them and it was fun to hear their voices. That was beautiful and I'm glad you are getting to see so many amazing things. Miss you tons!

Charmaine Anderson said...

Now I could enjoy a walk in this area. Marion Shipley came by this week looking at the Hawkins homes. They are taking back the Shipley Company that was sold before their mission...I guess they never got paid. The office has been moved to west Kaysville and she said they may move back to Davis County. It would be nice to have them as neighbors. I can see all is well with you.

Jane said...

What a blast! Gorgeous. Dad I love you trespassed to ride that swing. Just a young kid a heart. Looks like a pretty perfect day.

Marian said...

Barbara, how beautiful. Don't you just love England?
It is so green, peaceful, and charming. I'm glad your having great experiences - it is a choice time in life.

shaunacd said...

I hope the weather is still as good. My oldest daughter,
Sonya, is in london for a couple days, Oct. 27. She's with a friend.